Happy Friday T-birds!
It’s been another full and exciting week at Thunderbird. I wanted to share a couple of particularly good bits of information I’ve learned recently. First, there will be 45 flag bearers at our upcoming graduation, a Thunderbird record! What a special and wonderful T-bird tradition. Second, 40% of our upcoming May graduates have already received job offers and there will certainly be more in the weeks leading to graduation – this is a wonderful step in the right direction. Well done, May grads! We are proud of you! Keep it up!
There is much important news to share with you today, so please take the time to read this update thoroughly.
Here is what you’ll find in today’s update:
1. Finance Refresher Courses available for all students at no cost: In response to student feedback, here’s an opportunity for a targeted Career Boost with Thunderbird Faculty! The faculty have joined together with the Career Management Center to assist in your prepare for upcoming interviews and refresh your important Finance skill sets moving forward. You may participate in three sets of refresher opportunities at no cost.
Dr. Lena Booth will offer a half day review of the material covered in the first finance course in the AT&T auditorium, from 1 to 5 p.m. on Thursday, May 8. This should prepare all students for substantive interview questions over finance basics. Note that May 8th is the last day of the exam period, but no exams are scheduled for this time slot, avoiding any conflict with scheduled final exams. Please , RSVP for this refresher in GlobalConnect under events.
There are two ways to review material in additional finance course offerings:
- First, you may audit at no charge the regular course offering on campus from June 9th through June 27th, taught by Dr. Frank Tuzzolino. The course is offered from 1 to 4:15 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Second, students may audit at no charge a special online offering of the material in a second course, spread over a 12-week period, taught by Dr. Lena Booth, starting May 12th. For students who cannot be on campus this may be a better solution.
If you intend to attend the first finance refresher on Thursday, May 8, please RSVP in GlobalConnect before May 8. Registration instructions for the second finance course offerings will follow.
2. Important announcement for Spring Graduates – Deadline to request tickets and upload personal message 11:59 tonight: Spring ’14 Graduates, the deadline to confirm your Commencement participation, request tickets and upload your personal message and photo is tonight at 11:59 p.m. Please remember all guests must have a ticket to attend, and if you have not completed the information you will have to do so the morning of Graduation in order to walk across the stage, so we encourage you to visit the site before it closes. For those students who have requested additional Commencement tickets, you may now log back into www.marchingorder.com to either email or print your tickets. Please refer to www.thunderbird.edu/graduation if you have additional questions or contact the Institutional Events office at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to celebrating with you!
3. Extended IBIC hours for final exams: The IBIC will be open extended hours (7:30 – midnight) on Thursday and Friday, May 1 and 2, in preparation for final exams. Good luck!
4. First Friday Feedback, May 2nd: Our last First Friday Feedback for this term will be held on the Friday, May 2nd, from 11:30 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. in Honor Council Rooms 123 in Herberger. Please RSVP to Michelle Olesen (email@example.com) no later than April 27th so she can order enough lunches and have the room set up correctly. Also, if there are particular topics you’d like to cover at this session, please send them to me, Rebecca Henriksen (firstname.lastname@example.org) in advance of the meeting so I can add them to the agenda and make sure the people best able to respond to those questions attend the session. I hope to see you there!
5. Insurance Information for Spring Graduates, deadline to extend is midnight, May 22nd: Congratulations to the soon-to-be Alumni! Those students who currently hold student health insurance through the United Healthcare Student Resources are eligible for continuing their insurance post-graduation. This also applies to students who are “taking off the summer term” and will not be in enrolled in classes. The form for continuing education is found on the MTB website under the Student Health Insurance page. The form is located on the right side of the page: Health Insurance Continuation Enrollment Form. There are the options of choosing 30, 60,90, or 120 days of coverage. Students can print the form, fill it out and send to United Healthcare, with payment, BEFORE May 23, 2014 to enroll. Late forms will not be accepted. Students who have waived their insurance will not be eligible for continuing healthcare coverage. If you have any questions or problems with the forms, please contact Sandra Collins at email@example.com.
6. Graduate Assistant Positions Available in Global Recruiting: Applications are now being accepted for Summer 2014 Graduate Assistant positions within Global Recruitment Operations Center. We are in search of awesome, intelligent and personable representatives to assist us in passing around the great news of Thunderbird to prospective applicants. The position requires making outbound calls to people who requested information about the school, as well as answering incoming information queries. Sales and marketing experience is preferred. Many of you may have even had contact with us when you were applicants yourselves and I am sure you understand what an important role you will play in the application process! Please join us in finding the best future T-birds out there! Check out our job posting on the Student Employment page on MTB.
7. Graduating Class Photo Shoot, April 29th: The graduating class photo will be taken on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 1:10 p.m. The location will in front of the Thunderbird Tower. The dress code is business casual or national attire (no jeans, shorts, flip flops, etc.). If you have any questions, please contact Torrey Mann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. MTV True Life looking for cast members for their show “Moving Overseas for Love” and is interested in T-birds: If you are interested in being featured in the show or know someone that you think has an interesting Moving Overseas for Love story, please write to Moving4LoveCasting@gmail.com. Please include your name, location, phone number, picture, age, a description of your relationship and situation and how you’re preparing for life in a new culture. Please see attached document for more details.
9. TEM Lab Fall Projects Information Session, Tuesday April 29, 1-2pm, LH 53: This is an invitation to come to a TEM Lab information session regarding Fall 2014 projects, next Tuesday, April 29, during dead hour, 1-2pm, in LH 53. As many of you know, next Fall during the 2nd half of the trimester has been designed to be the best time frame for your class to take a TEM Lab (both Fall and Spring matriculates). We will be confirming projects with client systems over the summer, when many of you will be off campus. Therefore it is incumbent on me to frame the summer application process clearly, and it will be your responsibility to pay attention to email announcements and to form or keep teams together over the summer. My goal in the upcoming information session will be to clearly explain the application process and how TEM Lab works, and I will tell you what I can about the Fall projects that we are pursuing. I will address frequently asked questions and I hope that you will bring your questions as well. For those who cannot make the session, including you all in Kuala Lumpur, I will share my slides, notes and FAQs from the session. [from TEM Lab Program Director Charles Reeves, Charles.email@example.com]
10. Meet the Parents Event, May 8th: Join your Thunderbird family for a mixer with parents, friends and family the day before graduation!
What: Meet the Parents
Where: at the Fish
When: On May 8th from 5 pm to 7 pm
Hope to see you there!
11. Special Discount for Graduating Students in the Thundershop: From April 28th -May 10th all Graduating Thunderbird Students will receive 15% Off at the Thundershop. Don’t leave campus without some great ThunderGear!
12. GLOBAL GALA TICKETS ARE ON SALE NOW: The GLOBAL GALA will be held on May 9, 2014 from 7:30 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.at the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort in Phoenix, AZ. The information is as follows: Tickets for students paying the TSG fee: $25 for non-alcohol tickets and $40 for open bar tickets. This includes: heavy appetizers, entertainment, photo booth, and free bus service from campus and back! Order your tickets NOW, by clicking on this LINK: http://my.thunderbird.edu/mtbforms/TSG/GlobalGala.asp
13. TSG CHAIR APPLICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE NOW: Applications for TSG Chair positions for the summer 2014 trimester are now available on the TSG MTB Page (under Elections), in the TSG Building, and attached to this weekly update. Please consider bringing your enthusiasm, knowledge, and talent to TSG. Applications are due on Friday, May 2, 2014 at 3:00 p.m. at the TSG Building. If you are off campus on an internship/overseas program, etc., e-mail the application, along with a copy of your resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Torrey Mann will obtain the required signatures.
For those of you who want to stay informed about Thunderbird’s future plans, remember to visit the One Thunderbird site, http://one.thunderbird.edu .
As always, thanks for your attention. Don’t hesitate to reach out to me with questions, ideas, or concerns.
Have a great weekend,