Welcome to Das Tor, the student newspaper at Thunderbird School of Global Management. This is a publication produced by students for students. We welcome your input.
DAS TOR HISTORY
Thunderbird student Bob Morabito founded Das Tor in 1969 as “an open forum for debate.” The student publication continued in print until fall 2011, when the format changed to digital. The new online publication continues the Das Tor mission to serve as a clearing house of ideas that may further prepare students for the international community.
WHY IS IT CALLED DAS TOR?
Das Tor means “the gate” in German. Founding editor Bob Morabito wrote this mission statement in 1969: “Wherever we travel, whenever we pass from one country to another we must go through a gate. However, Das Tor means more than simply the traversing of borders; it stands as a symbol and artery of communication through the barriers of superstition, ignorance, dogma, racism and prejudice; traditional enemies which continue to be a detriment to progress and global peace. Idealistic though it may sound, it has now become the responsibility of our generation, the future leaders of the international community, to make every effort to widen these gates and succeed where previous generations have failed. Das Tor must therefore be an open forum for debate, a clearing house of ideas that may further prepare us for the international community and further augment the reputation of this youthful institution.”
MASTHEAD Fall 2018
Amanda Cardini (MAGAM ’19), Editor-in-Chief
Born in Connecticut, but an Arizona resident for 16 years, Amanda appreciates a blend of the East and West Coasts; she loves both the hustle and bustle New York City and the relaxation of a calm day on a California beach. Her diverse interests, a natural curiosity in new experiences, and a thirst for adventure have guided her travels and lead her to Thunderbird.
As a music lover, many of her travels center around concerts or festivals at which her favorite artists are playing. Growing up Italian, food and family are two other central aspects in her life. A Harry Potter fanatic since her mom read the first book to her in preschool, her love for reading and writing began at a young age, and she still rereads the Harry Potter books at least once a year.
Bryce Bower (MAGAM ’19), Editor-in-Chief
Bryce hails from the town of Paradise in northern California. He enjoys soccer, jazz, hip-hop, animals, and weather much cooler than Arizona’s. Having spent 2 years living and studying in Europe, and several years studying foreign language in the States, he is fluent in French, Spanish, German, and English (and working on Russian). Bryce likes telling stories, meeting new people, and scoffing at American pastries.
Chanel McFollins (MAGAM ’19), Staff Writer
Chanel is an Arizona native and graduate of Arizona State University. She has a Bachelor of Arts in Communication with a Minor in African & African American Studies. She worked as marketing intern at a startup in Downtown Phoenix managing various social media platforms for her company and clients, and has continued working for them throughout the semester. In addition to social media management, Chanel has experience with event planning and execution. She is a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., and president of Rotary Club at Thunderbird.
Billy Pierre (MAGAM ’20), Staff Writer
Billy has been working as a translator for the last 5 years. He is also an aspiring writer who enjoys crafting poetry, and lately, he has been writing short stories as well.
Darcy Nelson (MAGAM ’20), Staff Writer
Darcy Nelson was born and raised in small town Iowa and is the youngest of five girls. She attended Community College prior to enrolling at the University of Iowa where she graduated with a degree in Economics. Darcy has been a resident of the Phoenix area for nearly two years working in the restaurant and customer service industry. She continues to work part time as a Customer Service Representative for the Home Depot while attending Thunderbird. Darcy enjoys hiking and camping on the weekends to escape the city and is training for a half marathon in her free time.
Tanner Weigel (MAGAM ’20), Staff Writer
A native of Tucson, Arizona, Tanner just couldn’t bear to leave the beautiful Southwest for graduate school. He enjoys travel and has lived in Chile and Spain, and speaks Spanish fluently. Tanner spent two years as a middle school teacher before coming to Thunderbird, and likes to spend his free time playing the piano, attempting new recipes and reading political blogs.
Tomiwa Adeyemo (MAGAM ’20), Staff Writer
Nigerian, Nerd, Nonconformist.
DAS TOR Masthead in the Past
Since the change to digital format, Das Tor staff members have included:
- SPRING 2018: Editor-in-Chief Chris Barton; Editor-in-Chief Mary Richardson; Staff Writers Daisy Jasmine, Bryce Bower, Amanda Cardini, Mackenzie Pedersen; Multimedia Staff Laura Quintero Cervantes
- FALL 2017: Editor-in-Chief Chris Barton; Editor-in-Chief Mary Richardson; Staff Writers Daisy, Jasmine, Youfeng (Gloria) Pan, Bethany-Angel Chijindu, Bryce Bower, Amanda Cardini, Mackenzie Pedersen; Multimedia Staffers Aida Soto, Laura Quintero Cervantes
- SPRING 2017: Editor-in-Chief Lauren Herbert; Editor-in-Chief Jake Strickler; Co-Editors Nash Wills, Mary Richardson, Chris Barton; Staff Writers Aaron Rockwell, Laura Aviles, Julio Espinoza
- FALL 2016: Editor-in-Chief Lauren Herber; Editor-in-Chief Jake Strickler; Co-Editor Nash Wills; Staff Writers Alex Marino, Aaron Rockwell, Mary Richardson, Chris Barton, Laura Aviles, Janhavi Hunnur, Julio Espinoza
- SPRING 2016: Editor-in-Chief Alina Buzgar; Co-Editor Emma Livingston; Co-Editor Lauren Herber; Co-Editor Jake Strickler; Staff Writer Makarand Gawande; Staff Writers Nash Wills, Chaitra Somasunder, Alex Marino; IT & Marketing Director Chandra Mouli Koduri
- FALL 2015: Editor-in-Chief Alina Buzgar, IT & Marketing Director Chandra Mouli Koduri, Co-editor Jessica Knutzon, Co-editor Emma Livingston and Staff Writers Keith Blincoe, Makarand Gawade, Jake Strickler, Lauren Herber, Nash Wills, Chaitra Somasundar and Sanghita Dey
- SUMMER 2015: Editor-in-Chief Alina Buzgar, IT & Marketing Director Chandra Mouli Koduri, and Staff Writer Emma Livingston
- SPRING 2015: Editor-in-Chief Richard Beitman, IT & Marketing Director Chandra Mouli Koduri, Features & News Editor Alina Buzgar, Audio and Visual Editor Marissa Burkett and Staff Writers Emma Livingston, Jessica Knutzon, Sindhuja Kodivalasa, Keith Blincoe, Arnold Wang and Gloria Liu
- FALL 2014: Editor-in-Chief Bala S Rajendran, Co-Editor Giaccome Paccione, IT Director Ooha Venugopal and Staff Writers Richard Beitman, Jessica Knutzon, Alina Buzgar, David Roman, Krunal Barabde and Gloria Liu
- SPRING 2013: Editor-in-Chief Michael Reardon, Features Editor Sneha Gayatri, IT Developer Mahmood Hussain, and Staff Editors Spencer Davison and Nicole Johnson
- FALL 2012: Editor-in-Chief Ashwathy Sreenivasan, Features Editors Sangeetha Nagaratnam and Vinayendra Parvathaneni, and News Editor Michael Reardon
- SPRING 2012: Editor-in-Chief Roger Li, News Editor Viola Luo, News Editor Ashwathy Sreenivasan, and Features Editor Onyeka Azike
- FALL 2011: Editor-in-Chief Sophia Gao, News Editor Julianne Dixon, News Editor Roger Li, and Features Editor Ben Neblock