Happy Friday to you! I hope you’ve had a good week, and that you find a little time for rest and relaxation this weekend.
Special thanks to those who attended today’s Student Feedback Session. It was wonderful that a number of Board of Trustees members joined the meeting today, specifically Ann Iverson, Susan Stevens, John Henrickson, and Ken Seward, along with our President, Dr. Penley and members of our faculty and staff. You, our students, are our #1 priority, and we appreciate your willingness to meet with us, provide constructive feedback, and share your excellent thoughts and suggestions.
Here is what you’ll find in this week’s update:
1. Global Gala Tickets Are On Sale Now: The Global Gala will be held on May 9, 2014 from 7:30 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.at the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort in Phoenix, AZ. Tickets for students paying the TSG fee: $25 for non-alcohol tickets and $40 for open bar tickets. This includes: heavy appetizers, entertainment, photo booth, and free bus service from campus and back! Order your tickets now, by clicking on this link: http://my.thunderbird.edu/mtbforms/TSG/GlobalGala.asp
2. Telkom Indonesia dance performance TONIGHT, 6:30 in the Pavilion: Telkom Indonesia is a telecommunications company that is looking to expand into international markets. Participants in the Executive Education “Telkom-Thunderbird International Leadership Development Program” will be on campus from April 6-17, and are studying many things including Global Mindset and cross-cultural communication. The Telkom Indonesia participants have prepared an authentic Indonesian music/dance performance to share their culture with Thunderbird. They are even bringing some of their instruments with them from Indonesia. Enjoy this wonderful performance tonight at 6:30 p.m. in the Pavilion! Hope to see you there!
3. Tax Filing Deadline is Monday, April 15th: All international students and scholars present in the US in 2013 must file tax return(s) EVEN IF NO INCOME WAS EARNED. Students and scholars can prepare their tax form(s) by accessing the Glacier Tax Prep software provided by the International Students & Scholars Office. This tax prep program is free, and a majority of Thunderbird students and scholars who earned an income last year and have filed are receiving on average a $500.00 refund! So don’t delay, file you taxes today. It is the law! International students and scholars who earned no income in 2013 the deadline to file is June 15, 2014.
4. Summer Internship Registration & US Work Authorization Presentations: If you are interested in the Internship Registration process, or the various work authorization (CPT, AT, or OPT) granted to international students, please attend one of the remaining presentations:
Thursday, April 17th at 1:30p to 2:30p in Snell 22
Tuesday, April 29th at 1:30 to 2:30p in Honor Council 123
5. US Work Visa Presentation Friday, April 18th: Jacob Muklewicz, immigration attorney with Kriton-McConkie, LLC of Salt Lake City, UT, will present information regarding US employment related visas on Friday, April 18th at 10:00am in Honor Council 1,2,3. Topics to be discussed:
TN visas for Canadian and Mexican citizens
EB investor’s visa
Legal Permanent Residency (Green Card)
Mr. Muklewicz will also provide immigration advice for individual participants.
6. Africa Business Club presents the weekly Brown Bag Lunch series on Tuesday, April 15th, 2014 with Professor Roy Nelson:
Topic: How Can African Countries Attract FDI?
Location: Tower Conference Room
Date: Tuesday, April 15th, 2014
Time: 1-2:30 pm
RSVP: None- Seating on first come, first serve basis.
Contact: Peter Mayangi (email@example.com)
7. Thunderbird Summer Language Abroad program: With the extended deadline for the Thunderbird Summer Language Abroad program approaching next Tuesday, April 15th, please find the attached application and information sheets FYI. The application should be completed and submitted to Sandra Collins at the front desk in the Herberger. TSLA offers a unique opportunity to learn or improve your language skills in an immersive environment while experiencing the cultural traditions of China or Peru. There will also be opportunities to visit local businesses to expand your understanding of global enterprises.
If you have any questions, please reach out to:
8. Announcing Fall 2014 Foundations Leaders: Congratulations to the following individuals who were recently selected as the Fall 2014 Foundations Team. We anticipate another great batch of globally minded individuals here this Fall and it will be the duty of these individuals to welcome them into the Thunderbird family first via “Thunderstart” and then here on campus starting on August 18th. Congrats to all!
Thank you, wonderful Thunderbird students, for your continued hard work, dedication to your studies, and love of our wonderful school.
Have a great weekend!